A slow cooker is a wonderful thing. Fill it up with stuff, turn it on, go to work and then get hit with a blast of “OMFG, THAT SMELLS SO GOOD!” when you come home. If only everything in life was so simple and so thoroughly satisfying.
Packed with protein and nutrients, this piquant chili verde is great for a night in at home. Have it over quinoa or riced cauliflower and top it with some scallions, avocado and a small dollop of (low fat!) sour cream and you’re good to go.
Prep Time: 10 minutes | Cook Time: 4-8 hours | Servings: 6-8
1-1/2 pounds chicken breast
1 white onion, roughly chopped
2 fresh jalapeños, diced
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon oregano
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon onion powder
2 cans green chilis
1 cup salsa verde
2 cans white beans, drained and rinsed
1 32-ounce container of chicken stock, preferably low sodium and organic
Salt and pepper, to taste
1. Place the onion, jalapeño and minced garlic in the bottom of the slow cooker. Add spices and mix.
2. Top with chicken breasts.
3. Add undrained cans of green chills and salsa verde.
4. Add the white beans and chicken broth.
5. Let chili simmer on low for 8 hours or on high for 4 hours.
6. Remove the chicken breasts and shred, then add back to the slow cooker for an additional 10 minutes.