Part 1: Favorite Healthy Recipe:
IronPlate Studios is a firm believer that your nutrition and fitness go hand in hand to create optimal results and overall health. Because of this, we spend a lot of time working with clients to teach them how to build their own customizable meals to match their specific goals and lifestyles. We believe this approach versus handing out pre-made monthly menus, promotes hands on learning and more long-term success in actually changing one’s lifestyle.
A couple of questions clients frequently ask us are, “What do you eat?” and “Do you have any recipes?” All too often, we (yes even us trainers too!) get stuck in a rut of making the same meals over and over again week after week. So, we’ve asked a few of our trainers to help us out and present you with some new, crowd pleasing and healthy recipes to try at home! This will be a 4 part series, so keep checking back to our blog each week for more of our trainer’s favorites. Enjoy!
Oven Baked Chicken Fajitas
3 Boneless skinless chicken breasts cut into thin strips
2 Tablespoons olive oil
1 teaspoon chili powder
1 teaspoon cumin
½ teaspoon dried oregano
½ teaspoon garlic powder
1 (15oz) can diced tomatoes (drained)
1 red bell pepper, sliced (seeds removed)
1 green bell pepper, sliced (seeds removed)
- Preheat Oven to 400 degrees F
- Grease a 9x13 baking dish with non-stick spray
- Place chicken strips into baking dish. In a small bowl, mix together the olive oil, chili powder, cumin, oregano, and garlic powder. Pour the mixture evenly over the chicken and stir to coat
- Add tomatoes, peppers, and onions to dish. Stir to combine
- Bake uncovered for 30-35min or until chicken is cooked through and vegetables are fork tender. Serve over 1/2cup of brown rice, quinoa, or in a small tortilla with your favorite toppings. (salsa, avocado, hot sauce, etc)
**One of the things I love about this meal, is that with a little planning, a lot of the prep work can be done in advance (the peppers and chicken can be cut and spices can be pre-measured) for an easy throw together meal at the end of a busy day.
Almond crusted chicken fingers with sweet potato fries
1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1 cup almond flour/meal
1 T paprika
½ tsp garlic powder
1 tsp oregano
1 tsp chili powder
1 tsp black pepper
1 tsp sea salt
2 eggs, lightly beaten
Olive oil cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees and spray baking sheet with olive oil, set aside
- Slice chicken breasts into long strips, 1-2″ wide - trim off any fatty parts
- Mix together all of the spices and almond flour/meal in a wide bowl
- Whisk 2 eggs in a bowl and dip each chicken strip in the eggs then coat with almond spice mixture
- Place coated chicken on the prepared baking sheet
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, until golden
Instructions Sweet Potato Fries:
- Preheat oven to 425
- Cut sweet potatoes into fries (leave skin on)
- Toss sweet potatoes in a large bowl with 1 TBSP of olive oil
- Add seasoning to taste (salt, pepper, chili powder and/or cinnamon)
- Place on a baking pan and roast in oven for 20 min. Flip then roast for another 10 min.
- Toss side salad with greens and balsamic vinegar
Steak & Potatoes
Pedro DoAamaral - Simplicity is key with me!
10oz grass-fed, grass-finished, pasture raised skirt steak
4 Russian banana potatoes
Grass fed ghee
Himalayan pink salt
Cayenne Pepper (optional)
- Start by getting a large cast-iron skillet and a chef’s knife
- Cut the potatoes into wedges. (This will allow it to not only cook faster, but absorb some of the oils and spices)
- Drizzle the ghee in the skillet. Coat each potato wedge with ghee in the skillet. (This will help give the potatoes a nice golden brown color along with a crunchy crust.)
- Dry rub the steak with salt and spices. Let it sit for 15 minutes before cooking in the skillet alongside the potatoes.
- While the steak sits, pre-heat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Add steak to skillet alongside the potatoes. Slide the skillet in oven and cook for approximately 30-45min, checking every 15 minuntes until steak is cooked to your liking.
- At the last 3minutes, sprinkle parsley on top of the steak and potatoes for a nice aroma, a beautiful garnish, and an addition to the taste.